Thursday, December 12, 2013

EM Cosmetics Creamy Color Matte Lipsticks in Passion Berries, Wine Stain, & Just Fab



So if you may or may not know, there is a fairly new makeup brand called EM Cosmetics that was co-created by Michelle Phan a very popular Youtube Beauy Guru. The line has some unique products to it, but I decided to stay close with something familiar with lipsticks. There are three types of lipstick on the EM website: classic, sheer, and matte lipsticks. I chose three of the mattes to try out and of course give some swatches! But before I get TOO into this, I wanted to add some claims from the actual site.

These lipsticks retail for $16.50 USD. There are 10 available shades ranging from nudes, pinks, and purples. I have the shades Wine Stain, Just Fab, and Passion Berries.

  • Inspired by the girl who craves sophistication. 
  • A creamy, matte finish without feeling dry.
  • Rich conditioners cushion lips for hours.
 

As far as the packaging, goes, I like the simplicity. I know a lot of people like flashy packaging and were expecting it from Michelle with this line because of who she is and the prices of the items. I care more about the product inside not so much the outside and package preferences are SO very subjective to each individual. BUT as you can tell from the photos, each lipstick is encased in a white (guessing metal because of the weight) tube with the EM logo and various words that have "em" in them (haha, em is in them, sorry) and the tube carrying the bullet inside is silver.

I really enjoyed the formula of these matte lipsticks. They are not what I would consider matte after using the NYX Matte Lip Creams (matte and SO DRYING), but they are matte in the sense of no shimmer or sparkle. My lips were not dry during the wear of these colors nor when I removed it. There is a slight sheen when first applied, but it fades as the lipstick sets on the lips. They are VERY comfortable to wear and when given a few minutes to set, they last fairly well through eating and drinking, BUT constant grubbing (like I do) does tend to create lots of wear and results in lose of color in the center of the lips.

These lipsticks DO have a scent. It smells JUST like cake batter and while I LOVE that smell, these lipsticks when I first opened them, the scent seemed to RADIATE from them. It was almost unbearable! GOOD NEWS though, the scent QUICKLY dissipates to a more manageable, almost non-existent level after about a week or so of use.



Wine Stain
Wine Stain
Wine Stain is the red of the collection and I was really pressing my luck that it would be a deep red. It's not the brightest red I've worn, but it isn't a shade a really go for anymore when looking for a red lipstick.
 
Just Fab

Just Fab
Just Fab is the darkest color in the mattes that I have and that I have seen on the website. I REALLY do not know what this color is...In real life the bullet looks totally brown with NO undertones of anything. BUT in photos and on video it shows having red undertones, but against my skin, it just looks BROWN and uninteresting to me. I make it work with a colored lip gloss on top to give it more dimension in color.



Lastly, we have Passion Berries! I saved my favorite for last. Passion Berries is a GORGEOUS berry color. It's not too bright, not too deep, and I think it would look amazing on most.

L to R: Wine Stain, Just Fab, Passion Berries
 
Wine Stain

Just Fab


Passion Berries
 
Overall, I LOVED the formula of these lipsticks. Do I think they are worth their price? Yes, BUT it never hurts to buy on SALE! I really think that EM has awesome matte lipsticks, but if I could change something it would be, better swatches on the website, LESS INTENSE SCENT, and more variety of color selections.

Tried these? Thinking of it now? Or totally turned off by them because of this post? Let me know!


PS Here is video showing a DUPE of Passion Berries!
 


 
Drink Up, Beauties!